An iconic location in the Animal Crossing series, the Museum makes a comeback in New Horizons on Nintendo Switch. This new release being quite different from the previous entries, there are a few important steps to take to unlock it.
In the beginning, there was Tom Nook
When you land on the island, you won't have much to do except discover crafting and build your first tools. The fishing rod and net will be of great use, since they will allow you to catch fish and insects.
Your first reflex will probably be to sell them to get a few bells and pay back what you owe for your tent, but there are much better things to do!
- When you catch an insect or a fish, immediately go to Resident Services.
- Talk to Tom Nook and select "I found a creature!"
- He'll thank you and ask if he can send the creature to a friend, a museum curator. This action will unlock the "Critterpedia" application on your NookPhone.
Bringing Blathers to the Island
To bring Blathers to your island, you must have given at least five creatures to Tom Nook.
- Give 1 creature to Tom Nook: Unlock the encyclopedia
- Give 2 creatures to Tom Nook: Unlock DIY recipes
- Give 3 creatures to Tom Nook: Red-windflowers
- Give 4 creatures to Tom Nook: DIY recipe to make a Watering Can
- Give 5 creatures to Tom Nook: Tom Nook calls Blathers and gives you his tent to set up wherever you want on the island.
It will take a day to build the tent, and you can then talk to Blathers the next day.
Unlocking the Museum
In his tent, Blathers will be happy to take your insects and fish. To unlock the Museum, you will have to donate 15 fish, insects or fossils.
By the way, when you talk to Blathers and give him something for the first time, he will offer you:
- The recipe for the Shovel (to dig up fossils)
- The recipe for the Vaulting Pole (for jumping over rivers)